What is the Combined Charging System (CCS)?
Here’s an overview of its principal characteristics.
The Combined Charging System (CCS) is based on open and universal standards for electric vehicles. The CCS combines single-phase with rapid three-phase charging using alternating current at a maximum of 43 kilowatts (kW), as well as direct-current charging at a maximum of 200 kW and the future perspective of up to 350 kW – all in a single system.
The CCS includes the connector and inlet combination as well as all the control functions. It also manages communications between the electric vehicle and the EV charging point. As a result, it provides a solution to all charging requirements.
The key features of the Combined Charging System include the following:
- AC charging:
- With the electrical interface specification for power transmission, which includes safety-related signalling for AC charging that complies with the international IEC 61851-1 and 61851-22 standards.
- With a connector that is compliant with the international IEC 62196-1 and IEC 62196-2 standard (Type 1 and 2).
- DC charging:
- With the electrical interface specification for power transmission, which includes safety-related signalling for DC charging that complies with the internationalIEC 61851-1 and 61851-23 standards.
- With the connector that is compliant with the international IEC 62196-1 and 62196-3 standards (Combo 1 and 2).
- The communication interface between the electric vehicle and the charging point is based on the international standard ISO/IEC 15118, the German DIN SPEC 70121 and the SAE J2847/2.
Great interest from the EV community in CCS at the ISO/IEC 15118 Testing Symposium in Versailles
The 6th International CCS & ISO/IEC 15118 Testing Symposium hosted by the CharIN member VEDECOM brought together more than 200 participants from 85 companies from the smart charging community including many CharIN members; it was the biggest event so far in the series of Testing Symposia since its...
CharIN recommendation: A harmonized connector approach per geographical region facilitates EV market uptake
CharIN is dedicated to support and establish the Combined Charging System (CCS) as the standard for charging Battery Electric Vehicles (EVs) of all kinds. As there are different CCS connector types used in the different regions of the world, CharIN recommends a harmonized CCS connector approach per...
Eine starke Verbindung - KOSTAL wird Core-Mitglied in der Charging Interface Initiative CharIN e.V.
KOSTAL, einer der größten Automobilzulieferer, Weltmarkt- und Innovationsführer in vielen Bereichen der automobilen Mechatronik, wird Mitglied bei CharIN e.V. und unterstützt damit die Initiative zur Einführung eines globalen Standards für Ladesysteme von Elektrofahrzeugen.